gearing up for the holiday market f.a.d.weekend market !! i’ll be there with watercolor prints — if you’re in Brooklyn make sure to stop by !!
working on a new skillshare class . . .
above is my 52nd painting a week! we picked “one” for this word. some other recent best-ofs below !
we’re still pressing on – hope to see another year of paintings-a-week !
lately i’ve been painting these knitted landscapes (seascapes, mostly!) that combine my favorite things
cabled waves. .
color work sunset . .
field of peonies. .
color work night-time sea
& the most recent, a beaded sparkling sea! i’m planning to continue this series & have a few ideas kicking around! i also sell prints at my etsy shop here !
first, painting of the week updates. above is “silken” in pen & watercolor
“submerge” in oils on canvas
“heat” in watercolors
“frontier” in acrylic
“cracked” in watercolors
& an extra, i’m working on learning a little handlettering. (flowers just for fun !)
on the knitting front — i’ve finished my picot peds! i used the pom pom peds pattern from the purl bee & they’re adorable & fit me so perfectly that i’ve already casted on another pair !
painting of the week update . . above is “soft”
seafoam for “foam”
a niagara falls en plein air . .
plus a wip video !
a watercolor of my dad’s favorite spot for his birthday
& with making all these paintings & drawings i’ve needed to get a new way to organize my pens & brushes. i bought this piece of wood for 25 cents at the thrift store & glued different sized cups to it before spray painting it gold. it works wonderfully !
on the needles, i’m working on a new design in this silk (my favorite color)! soon to be a lacy tee !
still going strong with a painting a week! above is “glide”. this one is only watercolors again, i’m working on that technique.
“hole” : flying through a black hole
“contained” : what i think about every time i see the beautiful gems & geodes inside plain-looking stones — futuristic little cities
& a bonus! these peonies are my part of an art trade i’m doing with @rachel_allene
off the needles . . . i’ve knitted another of my rosebud cord keepers, this time with a simple crocheted flower in place of the knitted one.
& a sneak peek of a deign i just finished . . i’m finishing up the pattern & hope to have it tested & released soon !!
i’m always looking for a way to use up the scraps from my knitting projects, especially when i have a particularly nice yarn that i can’t bear to throw away the tiniest bit of. there are tons of projects like this on the internet but i wanted something that used a small amount of yarn & was useful. enter floral cord keepers !
these are very simple to make (even simpler if you decide to crochet the flower rather than knit it) & are perfect for gifts or to use as an organization tool. i’m using mine to keep my headphones from creating an untangle-able knot inside my purse.
– pipe cleaner
– dk or worsted weight scrap yarn in two colors (green & your choice for petals !)
– yarn needle
– size 6 US dpns
1. bend the pipe cleaner in half and twist until you reach the raw edges of wire, bend those like in the photo, and finish twisting.
2. co 5 sts with the green yarn & begin working an icord (knit all stitches, slip work to the other end of the needles without turning the work, knit & repeat) for 3 rows. place pipe cleaner behind work & trap it when you move yarn to other side, as pictured. continue until you reach the end of the pipe cleaner.
3. for leaves : kfb of every stitch, 5 sts on each dpn
– starting on the right side of one leaf, knit one row
– purl one row
– ssk, k1, k2tog
– slip one, k2tog, psso
– break yarn and pass through final stitch. repeat leaf on other side
4. petals :
center petal (1) : – co 5 stitches with your petal color, leaving a tail
– kfb, knit to last stitch, kfb
– work in stockinette for 11 rows
– ssk, k3, k2tog
– co 3 sts
– co remaining 2 sts and break yarn & pass through last stitch, leaving a tail
outer petals (3) : – co 2 sts, leaving a tail
– pfb, purl to last stitch, pfb
– kfb, knit to last stitch, kfb. repeat these two rows until you have 12 stitches
– kfb, knit to last stitch, kfb
– ssk, knit to last 2 sts, k2tog
– purl. . . repeat above two rows until you have 6 sts, end on rs row
– p3tog, p3
– k3tog, k1
– bo remaining sts, leaving a tail
5. roll up center petal & use ends to tack it into place
6. wrap petals around center & use ends to tack into place, then sew rosebud in between the leaves
on the needles . . . i casted on the first of the purl bee’s pompom peds in dove grey. in lieu of pom poms, i’m going with a picot cast on. i’ve also been working on this 100% silk (in ballet pink !) in a new design . . i’ve found that i do best to have one project that i’m designing as well as one that i’m just following a pattern, beats any boredom !
i also sewed this bento project bag thanks to this tutorial. the original purpose of this kind of bag was for snacks & things but it is the perfect size to throw in a purse with a pair of socks on the needles !
’tis the season! i used micron pens & watercolors to paint these two cards. one for mothers day (me & my two sisters in her arms !) & one for my favorite college graduate who loves hockey.
& a couple painting-of-the-week updates ! above is “trail”
& “intertwined” (this gold is unbelievable in real life !)
the painting-a-week challenge is still going strong ! above is “flowers” — i tried a little something different & used only watercolor without any pens or pencils with a lot of color.
“peace” — oil on tiny canvases (so cute !!)
“grace” — still-frame ballerinas (just watercolors again!) i also posted a little animation of this one . . .
& on the needles . . . i’m swatching to prepare to re-knit this lovely paper-thin sweater that i started a few summers ago.
the culprit of why it needs re-knitting . . my new baby puppy of the time thought it tasted great. i was devastated at the time but i salvaged most of the yarn (& that face! couldn’t stay angry for long) & am taking it as an opportunity to incorporate some lace that i didn’t think of last time.