picot peds, bento bag, & watercolors

on the needles . . . i casted on the first of the purl bee’s pompom peds in dove grey. in lieu of pom poms, i’m going with a picot cast on. i’ve also been working on this 100% silk (in ballet pink !) in a new design . . i’ve found that i do best to have one project that i’m designing as well as one that i’m just following a pattern, beats any boredom !

i also sewed this bento project bag thanks to this tutorial. the original purpose of this kind of bag was for snacks & things but it is the perfect size to throw in a purse with a pair of socks on the needles !

 

’tis the season! i used micron pens & watercolors to paint these two cards. one for mothers day (me & my two sisters in her arms !) & one for my favorite college graduate who loves hockey.


& a couple painting-of-the-week updates ! above is “trail”


& “intertwined” (this gold is unbelievable in real life !)

diy : homemade bath bombs & free printable !

i recently tried out homemade bath bombs thanks to the inspiration from a beautiful mess — the perfect mother’s day gift! i made a few adjustments . . recycled packaging and measuring instead of weighing ingredients & i thought i’d share !



what you need :

1 3/4 cup baking soda
2 cups cornstarch
1 cup citric acid
1 cup epson salts (i used lavender)
3-4 drops food coloring (optional, we also used edible glitter for a few)
5 drops essential oils (i used vanilla)
1 tsp water
1 1/4 tsp coconut oil (heat it up a little in the microwave first)
plastic easter eggs
clean spritzer bottle
empty half dozen egg cartons
gold spray paint
2×4 labels

first we spray painted the cartons gold — fancy !

whisk together the dry ingredients . .

& combine the wet ingredients & slowly add them to the mixture. we ended up with a rather dry formula so we started using a little spray bottle to wet it more. it should still feel more or less dry to the touch but be able to stick together if you smush it in your hands

then we formed the bath bombs! we filled up each half of the egg so that it was over flowing & squeezed the halves together. then we removed one half to let it dry out a little before removing the other side . . .

we ended up with about 16 eggs! (we also added edible glitter to a couple of them !) then we left them to dry out completely overnight & worked on the packaging in the meantime . . .

a little faux-calligraphy & watercolor labels for the boxes . .

& that’s it !!

they work wonderfully & make a great craft for kids! if making the label isn’t your thing i’m offering these ones to download for free here & here !


thanks to my sister-assistant for helping with this post !